Saturday, July 16, 2011

Ye Olde Walnut Tree

So, yesterday's This Moment post shows how thrilled we were to have the huge walnut tree over our driveway taken out.  Here are some pictures to help you understand why we were so happy:


This is the tree after the Stormy Thursday. You can see where there are gaps - by this point, we had lost about 10 good sized branches from this tree in a span of 2 weeks. I was afraid of parking my car anywhere near the tree - I got lucky twice and didn't figure to get lucky again!

 Here are branches from that tree... they fell during that big storm and landed on our outside stairs - a solid 20 feet or more away. Scary!

And lastly... see those little green ball looking things? Those are walnuts - and they are killer on unwary feet and ankles. They live to make you fall and they LOVE to clog up the lawn mower.  (They also loved to fall onto the roof rack of my Suburban where they'd get stuck.  As we drove around town we'd hear them "thumpa-thumpa-thumpa" as we turned, sped up, slowed down, etc. Amusing but annoying too!)

So, we were glad to see the end of the tree. I'll miss its shade but I won't miss feeling terrified that this storm might be THE one. Rest in peace, old walnut, you did your job!


My girls tried to count the rings - but the wood was too dark!

No comments:

Post a Comment