Sunday, July 3, 2011

Weekly Organization

Here are a few things I've come up with over the years to keep myself and my family organized.

Featured in our kitchen is our menu planner. We modified the idea from here: The Amazing Mess.

As a teacher, I've always got pocket charts laying around.  They are usually in Target's Dollar Spot bins in July and August.  The meal items are written on paint chips with Sharpie.  We had an initial brainstorming session and made about 20 chips. Then as time went on, we added to it.  Usually on Saturday mornings (before grocery shopping) we'll make a menu for the following week. It has been a life saver for me - really helps me stay organized. On days when there are after-school meetings or activities, I can think ahead and plan something simple.  It works great!




Another big helper has been our giant wall calendar.  It is featured in the dining room.  This is because it stares my husband in the face while he makes the girls lunches on school days.  This way, he can't say he didn't know to pick them up, come for lunch, etc.  The girls have started writing notes on it as well - about TV shows to watch, things to do, friends coming over, etc.  I just wish there was a way to save the pages instead of tearing them off.  The pictures turned out pretty good though, maybe that is a viable option for saving.



I posted about our schedule a few days ago.  Here it is, hung up and being used!  I posted it at the bottom of the stairs, so when the girls come down in the morning, they see it first thing.  And posted next to it is their behavior charts - so they can do those last thing at night before going up to bed.  And we had a major schedule win Friday night - my 8 year old went to bed at 10:45, with no fussing, and didn't come down 15 zillion times.  She slept until 10am Saturday!  11 hours - I'd say all her late nights finally caught up to her!



So, what you see are a few tools I'm using to keep us chugging along this summer.  What do you do to stay organized?

No comments:

Post a Comment