Sunday, March 30, 2008

DH means what??

Today, in our house, it doesn't mean "dear husband." I'll leave today's meaning to your imagination.

Here is what went so wrong...

I've been reading about pressure cookers for some time now. Saw Alton Brown use them a couple time on "Good Eats" and thought it would be nice to have one. While at my parents' home in Atlanta for Spring Break this past week, I did some research and chatted with my parents about it. Our last night, they surprised me with a set from Fagor - really nice! It was my birthday present. I was pleased - they had listened. I hadn't been hinting they should get me one - but it sure beats an "unauthorized" gift - like the George Foreman grill collecting dust in the garage.

Anyway, DH immediately starts in on how it will fit perfectly in the garage with the George Foreman. About how it will sure be quicker... he was generally a pain in the a$$. I finally got him to shut up and told him not to worry about it.

Skip to today - I washed the set this morning and planned to use it for dinner. I planned to make everyone's favorite chicken. As dinner time approached, I got started. All went smoothly and quickly. What usually took 90 minutes only took about 30. Ended up smelling delicious - and just like my traditional version. I called that dinner was ready and started plating it up. The girls were very excited - all they cared was that it was their favorite chicken dish. DH walked in and mumbled some comment - not sure what - and so I told him not to eat it if he didn't want to. He went to sit down - I guess to keep us company. But we've been in slightly similar situations before and I knew he wouldn't be able to keep from making inflammatory, irritating, stupid comments. So I told him to just leave and not to "contaminate" the girls. He did leave - thank goodness!

The girls and I had a nice dinner. They did eventually ask where daddy was and I told them the truth - he was afraid I'd make him sick with the chicken and he didn't want to eat it from the pressure cooker. They both rolled their eyes and DD#1 said, "Well, I know it's done because it's white all the way through!"

From the mouths of babes, right?

Anyway, if any of you have a pressure cooker I'd love to hear about it. If any of you have a DH that isn't so Dear right now, I'd love to hear that too. And if you have any brilliant ideas about how to get him to eat stuff from the pressure cooker in the future - EMAIL me!!! His only saving grace is that he came in and cooked his OWN dinner after we vacated the kitchen/dining room.

No comments:

Post a Comment